Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Predictions: to believe or not to believe?

Many professors, preachers, historians, and others have given many predictions for hundreds of years. Some have come true, some have not. For example predictions that haven't come true...

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” — Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

“There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.” — Albert Einstein, 1932

"that Jesus would come back before 1988" - Hal Lindsey


Then there have been the predictions that have come true like:

"Obama being our next President" (sadly)

"that the healthcare bill would pass" (unconstitutionally!!!!)

With this in mind we will turn to a prediction that has to do with my future..... since I was 4 or so there has been a "gang", three girls that have done pretty much everything together. It would consist of me, and two of my girlfriends, one of which is getting married this weekend.

Predictions by many (moms, etc.) when I was 16 or so, was that I would be married first, since at that time I said that I wasn't going to get married at all! he he

Well, since my friend, Kristan, the girl in the pic with me on the left, is getting married this Saturday, this means that the prediction that I would be first, is well - false!


Well, lo and behold there's a new prediction going around...care to guess what it is? Believe it or not, it's that I will be next. Gasp!!! I would like to take this time to look at this prediction from a logical standpoint...

First of all if we were going by age to see who would be first to get married, then I would be last of the three since I am the youngest.

If we are going by first name alphabetically I would be last, and if we were going alphabetically backwards, I would be first (which isn't happening).

If we were going alphabetically by last name, I would be first (which isn't happening), and if we were going alphabetically backwards then I would be last.

If we were going by middle name alphabetically I would be last, and if we were going alphabetically backwards, I would be first (which isn't happening).

If we were going by height, I would most definately be last! And if we were going by maturity, based between the three of us, I'm pretty sure I would be last. *halo*

So, there's no way logically that I would be second.....so it would totally have to happen randomnly or something. Basically my odds for being next is, well, slim to none.

So, the prediction that I will be next(second) and that I HAVE to catch the bouquet at the wedding I would say are false.

First of all what does catching the bouquet have to do with getting married next or not? It is for this reason that I purposefully don't catch bouquets because that's what comes with it - "oh, you're going to be next!"

So yeah, don't tell me I have to catch the bouquet, that just makes me want to stand there and step aside when it comes my way and let it fall to the ground (that's what happened at a wedding last yr.) all the more. :P

But then again, I might try to catch them....it depends on if any single dudes come to the wedding and what they look like, and if people will try to match make me up with one of em.....but my reason for catching them would be to prove everyone wrong when I turn out not to be "next". :P

3 comments:

Justin Gist Preuninger said...

If marriage is in God's plan for you, there is no use fighting it (marriage is a good thing, IMHO), lol... just stay out of trouble, ha ha... :P

Vanessa said...

Justin is right. =)

Argue all your "logical" points till you're blue in the face, but if God wants you to go next, by george, He'll make it happen.

Btw, catching the bouquet has NOTHING to do with the idea that you'll be next or not. I've caught three.

Kikki said...

ha ha! Yeah I agree with both of you. I don't mind if I'm "next".....I just highly doubt that it's going to happen.

And it bugs me when people keep trying to match me up or try to plan my life for me. :P