Sunday, July 4, 2010

What is means to me to be an American



I’ve been thinking about this for the past few days as we approach Independence Day (or rather the day that we celebrate our Independence).

The America I live in today is so very different from what it was when I was born, especially in the political spectrum (I mean we’ve gone from having someone like Reagan to Obama).

While I become increasingly disappointed in our current leadership to the point that it’s actually turned into fear of the power they have, I truly can’t dream of living anywhere else (even though I say I’m going to move like every other day :P )

So, what does it mean to me to be an American?
Why am I proud to be an American?
A true American is a patriot. One who firmly believes in the cause, in the individual liberties granted to all men by an Almighty God. A patriot will fight for God, Family, and Country. They will fight for what is right regardless of the persecution or consequences.

It’s been happening since America was founded. Patriots fought for independence from a dictatorial England. Baptists preachers (patriots) suffered persecution in America in their fight against the push for a state church, which eventually became illegal once our constitution was established. Soldiers fought for the freedom of others in the Civil War, World War I & II, Korean War, Vietnam, and the Iraqi Wars, etc.

I always think of the soldier who goes to fight for his country….willing to face death for a person (s) he’s never met or known. Why? Because he believes in the cause, in the individual liberties granted to all men, because he loves his country. I don’t know about you but hearing “taps” sends chills up my spine, and tears down my cheeks. They made the ultimate sacrifice, just like Jesus did for every human being.

I’m proud to say that I’m an American, that I live in a nation that has a rich heritage in the belief of an Almighty God and was established with godly principles. I’m proud of what part of the nation I’m from too. Ain’t no place better than the South! :D I’m proud to live in a place where God is still feared (by most), people are still respected, and fallen heroes are honored with the whole town turning out to stand at attention and wave the American flag as the hearse drives by.

I pray that I can be the American patriot that my forefathers were, that no matter what the cost I will not compromise but rather “gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, cause their ain’t no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.”
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYONE!!!!

2 comments:

Justin Gist Preuninger said...

Two objections...

1. England was not 'dictatorial' they were in violation of common law, yes... but they were not entirely unjustified in their attempts to collect revenues to protect the colonies during the French and Indian War.

2. State churches are actually technically legal, provided the state constitutions have nothing against them, as all the US constitution says is that *Congress* may not establish one (or interfere generally)

hmm... I might have other thoughts later, lol... ;)

Kikki said...

Oh boy.... :P

Ok, so maybe they weren't dictatorial....just tyrannical. :P

And I meant a US church I guess you could say when I said state. I was talking about nationally, and not individually when referring to that.